Friday, July 6, 2012

It Started With The Love of a Great Pyrenees..

We wanted to share awareness about the "2 Million Dogs" cancer awareness effort, founded by Luke Robinson in honor of his late Great Pyrenees, Malcolm.  There are some events coming to the Denver area, so please mark your calendars.  There will probably be some great volunteer opportunities for those interested! 

I have the good fortune to be able to say I have never had a pet suffer from cancer.. yet.  Inevitably, with my love for animals and my intention to have them forever, I will likely see it one day.  I struggle to even be on their website, as my empathy wells over and I end up shedding a tear or two.  The only thing that beats the sadness of a cancer diagnosis in our canine friends, is seeing the over-pouring of love from the human.  As a technician I see sick and dying dogs often, but my heart rests soundly at night because I am witness to the insurmountable level of love we are capable of giving our friends, no matter how long they are with us.  The beauty of that love, being so great and large, is enough for me to keep my chin up and continue to have the bravery to have pets in my life; for surely owning a dog is a great act of courage.
"Murphy" 

From their website, 2 Million Dogs

"It began with a promise to raise awareness of canine cancer one mile, one city, and one person at time. Luke Robinson with his two dogs walked 2000 miles from Austin to Boston to fulfill  he made to his dog Malcolm who died from this horrible disease. Visit www.2dogs2000miles.org for more information about their walk.  2 Million Dogs was formed on the belief that if 2 dogs can walk 2000 miles to bring awareness to cancer surely 2 million dogs can walk 2 miles. Our mission benefits the study of canine cancer and comparative oncology.  Sign up now for a 2 Million Dogs Puppy Up! Walk in your area… there will never be a better time like this to Puppy Up! against cancer.  A cancer-free world starts with one dog, each mile at a time.  The funds raised from these events will be used to fund canine cancer and comparative oncology research particularly focusing on the causal relationship between infections, immune response, and cancer. We are in the early stages of our process as we are currently looking for research partners and raising monies to fund the study."

Event:
Saturday, August 11
Denver Pet Expo
Merchandise Mart
Free Admission
 
Walks:
Saturday, November 3
Stapleton Central Park, Denver
Martin Luther King Boulevard

 2 dogs 2000 miles, blogspot
"Puppy Up" 2010 (left to right), Luke Robinson, Ken Meaney and my Cahota, the late Dawn Meaney, and unknown woman.
"Sadie" Cooter, rescued by CGPR and *really* rescued by Donna.  Sadie was too beautiful for this earth, and bone cancer took her away, but only physically.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please Leave Your Comments or Questions and we will get back to you as soon as possible! :)